Friday, April 3, 2009

I know...another recipe; but it's a good one!!

I did say that I didn't want to post too many recipes from the "Eating for Life" book, but this is another great one. And it is a breakfast item that is easy and fast. So enjoy...

Golden Pancakes

Servings: 2 Prep time: 15 minutes

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked whole-grain oats (non-instant)
6 egg whites
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 packets sugar substitute
1/2 cup sugar-free maple syrup
1/4 cup mixed berries

Directions

*Lightly coat a nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray; place over medium heat.
*In a blender, combine oats, egg whites, cottage cheese, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar substitute. Blend on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
*Pour batter, about 1/4 cup at a time, onto hot skillet. Cook pancake until bubbly on top and dry around edges, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook other side until golden brown, about 2 more minutes.
*While pancakes are cooking, microwave maple syrup until warm, about 20 seconds.
*Place a portion of pancakes on 2 separate plates. Top with warm maple syrup and mixed berries.

Serve and enjoy!! Hungry





2 comments:

Betty said...

I know there are a lot of us bloggers out here who like to find new recipes. I know I do. Your pancakes sound very good I think even I might try them. Do you know how many carbs they have in them. I have type 2 diabetes and have to watch my carbs.

Tracie said...

Betty,

I can calculate a carb count for you and get back to you. However, just so you know, there are different types of carbs... some very good for you, others not good for you. This recipe, and the 'Eating for Life' book, is centered around all good carbs. That goes for everyone, including diabetics! Every recipe has a balance of protein, good carbs, essential fats, and minerals that your body needs and desires to maintain good metabolism and even levels of blood sugars. I have been a paramedic for 10 years, and I have read through the book more than twice already. I will try to tally a carb count for you and get back to you though.

Gordon (Tracie's husband)